We have doing some testing on a few of our customer instances that are to be upgraded to SugarCRM 6.0.1. Everything has been going very smooth, thanks to the huge amount of focus we have put into upgrade testing over the last few months. However, we ran into one bizarre issue when doing testing on Internet Explorer.
To begin with, let me give you some insight into the process we go thru to do the upgrade testing for customer instances.
- Our On-Demand team will deploy a copy of the customer’s instance on our internal loadtest cluster.
- We come in and clone the instance; making an indentical copy of both the file structure and the database. This is helpful to do before and after comparisons of any customizations that have been made, and makes it easier for us to re-clone the instance in case we need to go thru the upgrade process again.
- On the instance to upgrade, we run the Sugar silent upgrader.
- We then login to the new instance and see how it looks.
However, step 4 above didn’t work on IE; we couldn’t login. After doing lots of investigation on changes between 6.0GA and the current 6.0.1 builds and finding nothing, we tripped across this note a user posted to the PHP Manual.
And then it dawned on us. When we closed the instances, we named the new instances using the form:
…which was the problem. So changing it to:
…made it work correctly. A good lesson for anyone when naming their applications instances; don’t use underscores in the server name.