We opened our code contribution process earlier this year on GitHub, so that our community members could much more easily contribute code to us that we could pull directly into Sugar. We have brought in over 80 bug fixes thru this process, and it has made a huge impact on the overall code quality in the recent releases.
However, git certainly isn’t the easiest tool to use in the world, and for many people can be a bit of a pain to setup. This is especially true if you are just wanting to contribute a simple one-line change; no sense in cloning the whole repository and setting it up locally for all of that. To make this easier, I found you can do an edit and a pull request right thru GitHub with no trouble at all. Here’s how:
- Navigate to our GitHub repo at https://github.com/sugarcrm/sugarcrm_dev
- Find the file you want to edit, and click on it
- In the top right hand corner above the file contents, look for the following button and click on it.
- You’ll now be brought to a file editor. Make any changes you like, then provide the commit message to describe your changes.
- After Clicking ‘Propose File Change’ you are then directed to the normal pull request page, where you can submit the pull request to us.
Hopefully this makes making simple code contributions much easier.